Thursday, March 12, 2009
Oh, this question kills me! It breaks my heart. As someone who has been in this business for 18 years, I've struggled with it myself. As a coach, I've had this conversation with countless people. I'm telling you this so that you know you're not alone. I can't tell you when it's time. You have to decide. What I can tell you is what I ask myself and my clients:
1. Is pursuing your dream causing you more pain than pleasure?
2. Is there something else you can do that would give you just as much fulfillment?
3. Can you do something else to get you back on your feet financially and emotionally, while still pursuing your dream?
4. Would treating your dream as a hobby fulfill you because you're still being an artist/craftsman, and there's no pressure to make money at it?
5. Do you remember why you wanted to pursue your dream in the first place and do you still feel that way?
Also, remember that no decision is permanent. Should you decide to take another path and find yourself longing for your passion, you can always come back. I've left the business twice to pursue other careers and as Michael Corleone said, "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in."
Now, I am a Career Coach for Entertainment Industry Professionals AND I continue to pursue my dreams in the industry, as well. If you need further individual guidance on this issue, contact me at www.TheGreenlightCoach.com
For more tips and articles by the Greenlight Coach, visit www.TheGreenlightCoachBlog.com
Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1280: I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language (cont'd)
"I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language. I am looking to improve my comprehension when I read my text book...
A website is a marketing tool to help in your pursuit of getting work. It is not a substitute for creating relationships, it simply complime...
entertainment industry coach Question 419: with so much new technology is it more important to spend my money on training or your coaching?Well obviously I'm supposed to say my coaching.... Here are two scenarios, you decide which is best for you: 1. You spend five years an...