I tell you this, not to discourage you, just to give you some perspective on the challenges of getting a show on National TV, for a currently "unknown" person. Television may have more political hurdles than any medium since advertising has a lot to do with the decision making process.
Here's how to get started:
1. Get mentors in the talk show world
2. Start building a following by creating a video blog
3. Check out local cable stations for a way in or "pay to play" air time
4. Finish that book so you'll be viewed as a bookable guest expert
5. Get on a reality show, don't wind up with Bret Michaels or Flava Flav, and then create your own spin-off (I wish this one was a joke)
Learn the politics of the talk show world inside and out. Be very specific in your niche branding. Build BUILD BUILD relationships!
For more tips and articles by top entertainment industry coach, the Greenlight Coach, visit www.thegreenlightcoachblog.com