Saturday, November 28, 2009
entertainment industry coach question 271: I just got an offer for a job the same week I planned my Christmas vacation. WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN?
I feel your frustration, I've been there. Because I can't answer the question "why does this always happen?" I will answer the secondary question buried within this question: how do you choose between a job and a vacation?
You have to weigh the pros and cons of both. Here are some questions. Answer them for yourself and them based on what you value the most, make your decision:
1. Are you planning on going on vacation alone or with significant others who are looking forward to time with you?
2. Can the vacation be rescheduled?
3. Has it been a long time since you worked or do you work regularly and fear saying no?
4. If you were to choose the vacation, do you have a trusted colleague you could recommend in your absence?
5. If you could cut to: your life 10 years from now, which decision do you imagine would have the greater positive impact on your life?
Decisions like this are not easy. There's a running joke in the biz that if you want to book work, book a vacation. But when you're the butt of the joke, it's not funny. Let me know what you decide and how it works out for you.
For more tips and articles by top entertainment industry career coach, The Greenlight Coach visit www.theGreenlightCoachBlog.com
Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1280: I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language (cont'd)
"I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language. I am looking to improve my comprehension when I read my text book...
I'll admit, no one specifically asked me this one. It's in answer to what I witnessed last night at a networking event. Here's t...
The cure for procrastination is different for everyone, but I'll give you a few prescriptions to try: 1. An accountability and reward s...