Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1120: I live in a small town and want to move to LA. What should I do?
Here's the advice I've given to people who have successfully made the move to Los Angeles:
1. Save enough money to survive for a year with no work/or be willing to get a survival job
2. Create relationships with people who live in LA, before moving out here
3. Have a strategy plan that includes the kind of work you want and how you plan to generate it
4. Research the "business side of the business" so you aren't shocked when you're not "discovered" within 30 days (or 30 months)
5. Choose a support team of friends & family, so during times of doubt, they can boost you back up
Because there are so many people who are interested in moving and survival jobs in LA, check out 2 of my Greenlight 101 Series books:
101 Tips on Moving to Los Angeles from a Small Town, by author, Jefferson Loftfield
101 Tips to Getting a Survival Job That Doesn't Suck, by author, Dawna Gonzales
To stay current on The Greenlight Coach's speaking engagements, recommendations, and work success articles, sign up for her free newsletter at the top of the page and get a complimentary 1-hour MP3 on The 5 Fastest Ways to Get Work In Entertainment
www.theGreenlightCoach.com FIND ME
Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1280: I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language (cont'd)
"I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language. I am looking to improve my comprehension when I read my text book...
I'll admit, no one specifically asked me this one. It's in answer to what I witnessed last night at a networking event. Here's t...
The cure for procrastination is different for everyone, but I'll give you a few prescriptions to try: 1. An accountability and reward s...