Sunday, August 12, 2012
Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1251: you said to meet 100 people. How do you maintain all of those relationships?
Ah, great question! This person went on to describe how he has piles of business cards from people he's met recently at networking events. The key is to break it down into manageable chunks.
Here is a 7-step plan:
1. Take a few moments after meeting someone to write down personal notes on his/her card so you can easily remember what to refer back to.
2. Compose a general "nice to meet you" note.
3. Prioritize your business cards by people to whom you want to contact first.
4. Divide the follow up of 100 people by a 5 day work week (20/day) or 2 weeks (10/day) and divide the cards up accordingly into a neat piles of 20 or 10.
5. Plan the hour or two into your schedule for the week (or two)
6. During your scheduled time, personalize the general note for each person, based on your notes. This can be by email or in a greeting card*.
(*More personal, and my preferred choice, if there's a physical address on the business card. These can be bought in advance or even ordered with your name on them)
7. Send them out.
THE BIGGEST MISTAKE is asking for work or reminding them you're available in this note! Tempting as it may be, stop yourself. Create the relationship FIRST, work will follow.
To stay current on The Greenlight Coach's speaking engagements, recommendations, and work success articles, sign up for her free newsletter at the top of the page and get a complimentary 1-hour MP3 on The 5 Fastest Ways to Get Work In Entertainment
www.theGreenlightCoach.com FIND ME
For more tips and articles by top entertainment industry career coach, The Greenlight Coach, visitwww.TheGreenlightCoachBlog.com
Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1280: I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language (cont'd)
"I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language. I am looking to improve my comprehension when I read my text book...
Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1280: I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language (cont'd)"I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language. I am looking to improve my comprehension when I read my text book...
Unfortunately, I've had this question before. Here are some questions to consider: 1. Do you need the job for: the income, the prest...