Thursday, April 16, 2009

Question 44: when you are at the top of your profession on the technical side, how do you break through into management?

Great question! And for those of you who are not interested in management, simply insert any job or genre that you are interested in transitioning to. Because, that's what this question boils down to: How do you transition from one area to another.

Let me start by saying that if you consider yourself "at the top of your game," that's a huge plus. The confidence that supports that statement will back up the "perception strategy" you have to create. What's a perception strategy, you wonder? Here it is:

1. Know what the objections to hiring you in the new position are. In other words, why is there a challenge for you to break into a new area?

2. Have a counter argument prepared for each possible objection.

3. Tie your counter arguments into your pitch before the interviewer can even bring them up.

Here's an example:
The person asking the question wants to move from a technical position to a managerial position.

The interview may object because he/she thinks that technicians don't know how to "manage."

The technician starts the interview by saying, "Thank you for meeting with me. I know many people who aren't informed about what I do think that people in my position don't know how to "manage." I'm glad to see that you have the insight to know that a technician at my level, manages people on a regular basis (you'd mention how many and whom, and if you don't "officially" manage people, you point out how you "unofficially" manage people without bringing attention to the fact that it's not part of your job description) and even has an advantage over typical managers who have no technical background. With me you get the best of both worlds and I'm glad that you see that."

Get referrals to people who can hire you in the new position, create solid relationships with them, and then go for the job by being the best candidate, despite any preconceived notions. 

It's all perception.   

for more tips and articles by The Greenlight Coach, visit www.theGreenlightCoachBlog.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1280: I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language (cont'd)

"I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language. I  am looking to improve my comprehension when I read my text book...