Thursday, July 23, 2009

Question 143: What do you do when you've worked at 3 places and everyone burns you? It's hard to trust people in this industry.

Okay, there's a lot of stuff going on in this question. A couple of, what I refer to as... red flags. First, you've only worked at 3 places. If you're passionate about what you do, are you going to let 3 bad job experiences end your career? Second, "burned you," I'm not sure what you mean by that but it doesn't sound good. Third, you said, "Everyone," which makes me ask, "Everyone?" That's a HUGE generalization. Fourth, "it's hard to trust people in this industry." That's a major limiting belief. Trust them with what? Your ideas? Your talent? Your self-esteem?

I will answer this with a generalization. There are good and not-so-good people in EVERY industry. You get what you expect. If you expect people to burn you, you'll find a way to see that they do. If instead, you expect to find like-minded people whom are trustworthy, creative, and kind, you will.

I invite you to be aware of your language. If you speak negatively around trustworthy, creative, and kind people, they're going to be turned off. BE the person you want to attract. Like attracts like.

For more tips and articles by top entertainment industry coach, The Greenlight Coach, visit www.thegreenlightcoachblog.com

1 comment:

Michael Lyle said...

If you've been burned three times in a row, you aren't developing the radar needed to survive in this industry. I grew up in Louisiana. We all knew where the water moccasins would be laying in the spring.......one needs to learn to listen and figure out what a snake pit looks like........then stay the hell away! Also, this industry may not be where you belong. It's not a place for the faint of heart.

Post a Comment

Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1280: I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language (cont'd)

"I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language. I  am looking to improve my comprehension when I read my text book...