Thursday, May 19, 2011
Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 810:Are there any no-nos for staying in touch with people?
I'll re-word that question to be: My lists of DONT'S when staying in touch.
1. Don't call someone everyday. This may seem obvious to you, but it's not to everyone. So, if I help one person, not to make this mistake, my job is done.
2. Don't forget to BCC when sending out a mass email about an accomplishment or an event! This mistake can get you blackballed. Seriously, privacy is a big deal in our industry. Don't be the person who shares everyone's contact info.
3. Don't call/email for no reason. It's transparent.
4. Don't be attached to your agenda. If you call someone and he/she says that it's a bad time, get off the phone. Don't say that you just need a minute or you just have a quick question. It's never a minute and the answers are never quick.
5. Don't send "good luck," "money angels," or any kind of emails that will make your business contacts feel like they are going to have bad luck forever or cause an angel to lose it's wings if they don't pass it on to 50 people they know within 15 minutes.
6. Don't forward a "warning" email about a guy who slashes peoples' feet from under SUVs, or sprays poison perfume, to your business contacts. In fact don't forward them to anyone without checking first on www.breakthechain.org. Most of these emails are fake.
7. Don't misspell names. Just don't. www.IMDB.com
To stay current on The Greenlight Coach's speaking engagements, recommendations, and work success articles, sign up for her free newsletter at the top of the page and get a complimentary 1-hour MP3 on The 5 Fastest Ways to Get Work In Entertainment
www.theGreenlightCoach.com FIND ME
For more tips and articles by top entertainment industry career coach, The Greenlight Coach, visitwww.TheGreenlightCoachBlog.com
Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1280: I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language (cont'd)
"I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language. I am looking to improve my comprehension when I read my text book...
I'll admit, no one specifically asked me this one. It's in answer to what I witnessed last night at a networking event. Here's t...
The cure for procrastination is different for everyone, but I'll give you a few prescriptions to try: 1. An accountability and reward s...