Tuesday, March 13, 2012

getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1100:Were you ever on Dog Whisperer with Cesar Milan?

Yes, I was. And here's why I'm answering this as a blog question. This blog entry is all about knowing your hook and it can be in your elevator pitch, your bio, your marketing materials, your social media pages... everything. You MUST know your hook AKA your place in the industry.

So there I was (6 years ago) with an English Mastiff who weighed more than me, and all of a sudden at age 7 she decides to become "leash aggressive." Which basically means that she went after other dogs, trucks, skateboards, children, and when she bit a person, I knew I needed help.

At the time, I was living with a Strength Coach who worked with athletes, and as you all know, I'm a career coach. My video hook was:

Two successful coaches who can't coach their dog.

I made a great video tying into this theme. With the hundreds of submissions the show gets, I didn't expect to hear back any time soon. I heard back the day after I sent it in (go USPS!). Why? Because I made their job easy. I gave them their hook and their story. All Caesar had to do was show up for 3 hours and reprogram OUR brains so we could manage our indoor teddy bear/outdoor monster.

It worked, and I was grateful to have 3 more wonderful years with her. Now if only my Saint Bernard could get her act together... oops that's right, it's me not her!

For more tips and articles by top entertainment industry career coach, The Greenlight Coach, visitwww.TheGreenlightCoachBlog.com

To stay current on The Greenlight Coach's speaking engagements, recommendations, and work success articles, sign up for her free newsletter at www.TheGreenlightCoach.com and get a great bonus 1-hour MP3 on creating powerful business partnerships when you do!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"My video hook was: Two successful coaches who can't coach their dog. I made a great video tying into this theme. "

Would love to see this video shared on YouTube !

Post a Comment

Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1280: I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language (cont'd)

"I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language. I  am looking to improve my comprehension when I read my text book...