Tuesday, November 23, 2010

entertainment industry coach question 629:What is the best way to write a letter to start a relationship with a CD, director or agent and...

... not make it about me, me, me?

The answer to that is make it about them, them, them! When you are approaching someone to begin a relationship, you want to offer help, or ask for something they can say yes to, which means: DON'T ASK FOR WORK or A JOB in the first few contacts. Build the relationship first.

So tell them in your initial letter: who you are, where you are in your career and where you want to be.
Then: Tell them why you're writing to them (what you want or can do for them) and WHY THEM PERSONALLY. This is where you make it about them, them, them.

Remember to give your contact information as well as a date when you plan to follow up with them.

For more tips and articles by top entertainment industry career coach, The Greenlight Coach, visitwww.TheGreenlightCoachBlog.com

To stay current on The Greenlight Coach's speaking engagements, recommendations, and work success articles, sign up for her free newsletter at the top of the page and get a great bonus 1-hour MP3 on creating powerful business partnerships when you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Jobs in Entertainment question 1280: I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language (cont'd)

"I grew up in India and as a result English is my second language. I  am looking to improve my comprehension when I read my text book...